On Saturday, June 26, 1999 4:30 AM, Finlayson, Joe
[SMTP:jfinlay...@nbase-xyplex.com] wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
>       I am in the midst of evaluating the compliance status of a
> particular product for a potential OEM relationship.  This product is a
> standalone box with Ethernet ports powered by an external AC adapter with
an
> output of 7VDC.  The adapter is NRTL Listed, IEC 950 CB report, etc.
> although the box itself has no safety certs whatsoever.  My understanding
is
> that there is no legal requirement to have an NRTL Listing, etc. for such
> product although my policy has been to get that third party mark to
minimize
> liability and such.  Can anyone share some more info as to their reasons
for
> listing or not listing such a product which is well below hazardous
limits.

Joe,
Although devices like these usually seem innocent enough....you should
think about it.
For example, under fault conditions, how much current could be supplied by
the supplied by the AC adapter.  No fire hazard?  Burn hazard?  Does the
box have sharp corners?    Contain batteries?
If you do rely on an NRTL to set your mind at ease, make sure you get the
box approved for use with the specific AC adapter(s) you have in mind.

> Horror stories are definitely welcome as I would like ammunition to
justify
> my case to force the issue.

Horror story?  No problem.
Ask Kodak.
or go to http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml99/99059.html
to see this one:
CPSC, Kodak Announce Recall of AC Adapters for Digital Cameras
WASHINGTON, D.C. In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
Commission (CPSC), Eastman Kodak Company, of Rochester, N.Y., is
voluntarily recalling 120,000 AC adapters for use with certain Kodak
digital cameras. When the connector plug of the AC adapter is not fully
inserted in the camera, the batteries in the camera can overheat to a high
temperature. This can cause the batteries to leak acid and explode,
possibly causing thermal and chemical burns or lacerations to consumers.
Kodak is aware of three reports of the batteries in these cameras
overheating and rapidly discharging the battery's contents while using
these recalled adapters, including one report of a consumer suffering minor
injuries when a battery's content ejected from the camera onto his face and
hand.

It's clear from the photos that the AC Adapters were approved.  I wonder if
the Cameras themselves were NRTL tested?  Does anyone else know?

Matt