Sorry to add to the confusion, but the British trade
association FEI publishes a document on periodic
safety checks for business equipment, which includes
a table of conductor sizes and fuse sizes
for British plugs, with the following note:
"BS 1363 specifies only the use of 3 A or 13 A fuses.
Conditions applicable to using a 5 A fuse with a 0.5 mm2
conductor are given in BS 1363."

This seems to tie up with my (old) copy of BS1363,
which specifies a 3A fuse for 0.5mm2 cord, and a 13A fuse
for 0.75, 1.00, 1.25 and 1.50 mm2 cords.
Adjacent to the 3A fuse rating for 0.5 mm2 cord is (5);
with a note that "the figure in brackets indicates the fuse
rating where a non-rewirable plug/cord assy is used
with certain types of equipment where the use of a 5A
fuse link is necessary because of the high instantaneous
input current".

If anyone has the latest version of BS 1363:1984, or
BS 1363:Part 1:1995, they could confirm the above.
I note that in the BSI catalogue, under the entry for
BS 1362 (fuses for BS 1363 plugs), it states
"for use in plugs complying with BS 1363, the preferred
current ratings are 3A and 13A.
John Crabb, Development Excellence (Product Safety) ,
NCR  Financial Solutions Group Ltd.,  Kingsway West, Dundee, Scotland. DD2
3XX
E-Mail :john.cr...@scotland.ncr.com
Tel: +44 (0)1382-592289  (direct ). Fax +44 (0)1382-622243.   VoicePlus
6-341-2289.