Laura

With respect to the last line of Chris Colgan's email: Be careful!

In the UK we have seen a number of bogus power cords with "13A" plugs which
have no provision for fuses.

Additionally, they are much narrower than BS1363-compliant plugs and have
no insulating sleeving on the Line & Neutral pins - so that it is easy to
get your fingers on the Line Pin as you insert the plug in a socket-outlet!

Obviously they have no BSI/ASTA certification markings and - also obviously
- they are not legal in the UK!

I believe that our local Trading Standards Officers are aware of the
problem, but it has not - to my knowledge - received a great deal of
publicity.

Typically they seem to turn up with very cheap PC cases made in the Far
East, but they could appear anywhere.

My guess is that they were designed for countries where BS1363 sockets are
used on radial/branch circuits covered by 15/16A fuses or breakers, and
where the legal requirements on access to the pins are much less stringent
than the UK - does anyone know where this might be?

Regards

John Allen
Racal
Bracknell
UK

PS:
The above is not rumour - I have actually seen and examined items of the
type I describe!