In article: <199908122132.haa09...@iswfwa.effem.co.uk>
carlos.perk...@eu.effem.com writes:

> A question from UK:
>
> Does anyone have a strategy for handling the Low Voltage and EMC
> Directive requirements relating to equipment made for use in-house?
>
> By this, I mean test boxes, power supplies, break-out boxes, etc.
>
> These products are not meant to be offered for sale (ie not 'placed on
> the market'), but have been 'taken into service' by being switched on
> and used. I think, therefore, that the protection requirements of the
> Directives must be met, but CE marking is not necessary.
>
> In terms of Safety, I think EN 60950 and EN 61010-1 are relevant.
>
> Does anyone have a view on this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carlos Perkins

>From the investigations I've done, and reading others' interpretations
of the requirements, I think you have it in a nutshell.

But try telling management that "just a simple test box" still has to
comply, and ought to be tested and documented.  I would guess that the
critical word in the sentence is "ought".

Regards,  Mark

Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.
--
Mark Hone

  Wellman CJB Limited               Email: m...@cjbdev.demon.co.uk
  Airport Service Road              Tel: +44 (0)23 9262 9239 (Direct)
  Portsmouth, Hampshire             Tel: +44 (0)23 9266 4911
  PO3 5PG, ENGLAND                  Fax: +44 (0)23 9269 7864