Hello Koh,

Computer equipment sold in Australia is required to be safe and meet
Australian safety standards, but does not need to have regulatory safety
approval. Voluntary safety approval can be gained from any of the state
government regulatory bodies or from QAS (non government).

Your CD-ROM sounds okay with just the C-Tick, and the AC-DC adaptor
probably does require state approval as you have stated. These days almost
everything is required to have the C-Tick.

Regards

Barry Esmore
AUS-TICK (Australian Approval Consultants)

Phone:  + 61 3 9886 1345
Fax:    + 61 3 9884 7272
Email:  bar...@melbpc.org.au

----------
> From: kohscp <koh...@cyberway.com.sg>
> To: EMC-PSTC <emc-p...@ieee.org>
> Subject: Australia Safety
> Date: Friday, 16 April 1999 1:12
>
> Hi,
> For US market, UL mark for pheripherals are voluntary requirement becasue
> these device are classified as SELV, but having UL mark is a preferred
mark
> because it is widely recognise. Any AC powered device (e.g. AC-DC
adaptor)
> must have UL mark to deem safety compliant. The other mandatory safety
> requirement for drives (CD or DVD) is the CDRH requirement which is the
> laser safety requirement.
>
> For Europe, TUV mark is commonly recognise mark but CE is a mandatory
mark
> due to EMC & LVD. Having TUV mark should be saying that the product
> complies to the safety requirement. AC powered devices must have TUV
mark.

> I would like to hear the group's opinion on the above
assumption/statement.

> The questions that I'm interested in is "What about Australia/New
Zealand?"