Posting for a non list member..

Message text written by INTERNET:t...@world.std.com
>I have to agree that there shouldn't be another US (UL) standard for
network
equipment when the equipment can be incorporated into UL1950. UL1950 can be
revised
to clarify the network equipment requirements, perhaps as a "deviation" or
an
"appendix" (annex), or just rewording the existing sections to make it
easier to
follow.<

The reason why we went the UL1950 route was to be able to join the IECEE
Schemes, where
it is a prerequisite that the nation use the governing IEC Publication with
a minimum of deviations.

We had a bit if a difficult time with the IEC and are supposed to show how
we are "DECREASING" the number of deviations, not increasing them.  We had
a difficult time to convince the data processing industry to embrace
customer premises equipment.  We never could get an international agreement
to incorporate Central Office equipment.

I may be mistaken, but I do not believe that we will get support from the
main stakeholders in UL1950,
to increase the number of deviations to accomodate Central Office
equipment.  Therefore, incorporating such requirements in a UL1459/CSA 225
product makes most sense.

Even if we could get  support in North America to propose modifications to
IEC 60950 to accomodate CO equipment, we are talking about a process that
will take years.  I am afraid I start sounding like all
the other would-be historians  in making these comments and my white hair
and arthritic knees don't help the image.  Nevertheless, a bit of history
helps in understanding some of these things.

Regards,

Vic Boersma