Hello All,
I have to agree that there shouldn't be another US (UL) standard for network
equipment when the equipment can be incorporated into UL1950. UL1950 can be
revised
to clarify the network equipment requirements, perhaps as a "deviation" or an
"appendix" (annex), or just rewording the existing sections to make it easier to
follow.
I think the network equipment has proven its safety over time, and UL, by
having a
UL1459 standard implies they agree, along with Telcordia (Bellcore) (GR-1089).
It
shouldn't be much of an issue to clarify UL1950 to include network equipment
constructions.
Reviving UL1459 only opens the door to confusion, making it more difficult to
achieve a "worldwide" certified piece of equipment. We want to move towards
harmonization worldwide, we don't want to increase the gap.
I'm also afraid we would wind up adding "UL1459 Listed" to our long list of
certifications on the back of the equipment!
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Bob Tims
Compliance Engineer