From:   j...@aol.com [SMTP:j...@aol.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, March 24, 1999 3:42 PM
To:     emc-pstc; 'TREG'
Cc:     jim.wi...@adtran.com
Subject:        Re: Network Equipment and UL 1459/1950

In a message dated 3/24/99, jim.wi...@adtran.com writes:

> The only design criteria with regard to insulation in Bellcore standards
or
UL 1459 is a hi-pots test.
> Creepage and clearance do not exist in traditional C.O. equipment (just
look
at wire wrapped
> backplanes).

Dear Jim and others:

Jim Wiese has raised several concerns regarding the transition from UL 1459
UL 1950 (3rd Edition).  One of these concerns relates to the new creepage
and
clearance requirements for separation of TNV circuits and ground/SELV.

I would like to pick up on this one issue (I know that Jim has raised
several
other issues as well).  In particular, I would like some feedback from
others
in the group regarding my interpretation of how the separation requirements
in
UL 1950 apply to certain types of equipment.

Just this week I met with a PBX manufacturer who is in the process of re-
designing the backplane and all of the line cards in their PBX to "comply
with
UL 1950."  The PBX is presently approved to UL 1459, but the manufacturer
has
its eye on the March 2000 date for new or modified products to comply with
UL
1950.  Needless to say, the redesign effort is an expensive one.

The biggest headache in the redesign is complying with the creepage and
clearance distances for separation of TNV and SELV circuits.  The PBX
manufacturer seemed incredulous when I stated that I did not think the
creepage and clearance requirements applied to their product, since the PBX
has a permanent (hardwired) connection to ground.  My interpretation is
based
primarily on the following statement in clause 6.2.1.2 in UL 1950,
paraphrased
below:

" Basic insulation is not required provided that all of the following
conditions are met:
   - the SELV circuit .... is connected to protective earth...in accordance
with 2.5; and
   - the installation instructions specify....a permanent connection to
earth;
and
   - the test of 6.2.1.3 is carried out... (where applicable)"

There are other clauses that call out isolation, such as 6.3.3.1 and 6.4.1,
but the "permanent ground" exemption appears to apply here as well.

In my view, these exemptions are specifically targeted at equipment such as
PBXs and network equipment that are typically installed by service
personnel
and include hardwired grounding.  Without these exemptions, it is almost
impossible to separate certain types of TNV circuits from SELV and ground.
For example, a feed circuit that provides 48V battery (SLIC, FXS, DID,
etc.)
is inherently referenced to ground.  The situation with a ground-start FXO
interface is not much better.

Do others in the group agree with this interpretation?  If not, how are
feed
circuits supposed to be isolated?  Does anyone have direct experience with
getting a product through UL with these exemptions?

I recognize that the original thread here related to network equipment, but
the "permanent ground" exemption should apply to network equipment as well.
also recognize that these exemptions only apply to circuits that qualify as
TNV, and do not address some of the other issues that Jim Weise raised
concerning things like 200 volts DC for repeaters.  However, for simple TNV
isolation, it seems that network equipment could use the "permanent ground"
exemptions from having to provide creepage and clearance (or in fact, any
isolation at all).

Any input from others in the group would be welcome.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848 (USA)