From: Maxwell, Chris [mailto:chr...@gnlp.com]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 11:54 AM
To: 'wo...@sensormatic.com'; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: Application of CE Mark

Let's look at this from the point of view of a customs officer.

Would I trust a box just because it has a CE mark on it?  If I were a
customs officer and I trusted every box that came through with a CE mark on
it, I would be inviting smuggling.  People could be smugglling God knows
what into my country simply by using a CE marked box.

So, if we put CE marks on all of our packages, I don't think that it
guarantees that they won't be opened.    I would assume that if customs
officials were doing their jobs, they would be spot checking CE marked boxes
and non-CE marked boxes.  Maybe there is a lower probability of checking a
CE marked box?

If I were a customs officer and I opened a package.  I would want to be able
to clearly tell that the CE mark that I see applies to the product in the
package.   After all, couldn't somebody be simply re-using a CE marked box
to ship something else?

Even so,  Chapter 12 of my version of The Guidelines on the Application of
The EMC Directive state that the CE mark must be affixed on the product, if
possible.  If that isn't possible it allows the PACKAGING, instructions for
use and the guarantee certificate in that order of priority.

So, while CE marking boxes may not be forbidden (for the EMC Directive
anyway), it certainly may be ineffective for the reasons that I mentioned
above.  Deciding where to mark should be applied in a case by case basis
using common sense to figure out the best way to associate the CE mark with
the product that it applies to.  It seems that CENELEC already thought of
this and that's why they gave us options listed in the guidelines document.

Consider a basketball shipped in the typical three sided box.  It may be CE
marked on its "box" effectively because a customs official could see the CE
mark on the package and see the product all without opening the "box". (For
those unfamiliar with basketball packaging, they usually arrive in the store
in a box with one-side partially open so the customer can see the ball.)

Now consider a large box labelled as a handheld medical device.  It's a
great big, closed box with CE marks all over it, yet it smells like
marijuana. (I myself wouldn't have the faintest idea what it smells like
:-).  If I was a customs official, maybe I'd decide to take a peek.  If I
opened the box only to find a bunch of marijuana, would I assume that this
is alright to ship just because the box was CE marked?

Happy holidays!

Chris