I attach my responses at the end of Mr. Lacey's, in CAPS.  I disagree with
Mr. Lacey on some details.

----------
>From: "Scott Lacey" <sco...@world.std.com>
>To: "Muriel Bittencourt de Liz" <mur...@grucad.ufsc.br>
>Cc: <emc-p...@ieee.org>
>Subject: RE: doubt on conducted emissions
>Date: Thu, Aug 3, 2000, 6:49 PM
>

> Muriel,
> See answers below.
>
> Scott Lacey

ANSWER FROM KJJ: IT IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY THAT ANYTHING OTHER THAN A TUNED
RADIO RECEIVER COULD BE SUSCEPTIBLE TO 31.6 mV SUPERIMPOSED ON OVER 200 VAC.
I SAY 200 VAC, BECAUSE IN THE USA WHERE WE HAVE 120 VAC POWER, WE HAVE NO CE
LIMITS BELOW 450 kHz SINCE WE DO NOT HAVE LW RADIO BROADCAST SERVICE.  I SAY
THAT YOU WOULD HAVE TO INTENTIONALLY DESIGN EQUIPMENT TO SENSE 31.6 mV
SUPERIMPOSED ON THE AC LINE.  I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT COUPLING EITHER, AT
200 kHz, COUPLING IS INEFFICIENT, AND ANYTHING SENSOTIVE TO MILLIVOLT
POTENTIALS SHOULD BE SHIELDED ANYWAY.

> # Is there any difference between the 90dBuV that equipment A (100W)
> generates to the 90dBuV that equipment B (3W) generates (Qualitative and
> quantitative)??
> A: No. Both are 90 dB relative to 1 uV. The interference, in this case 200
> kHz, is mostly a result of circuit layout inefficiencies. The voltage rise
> time (dv/dt) of the switching element is what generates the interference.
> Regardless of power ratings, most switch-mode supplies operate at a nominal
> primary voltage of either 150Vdc (110-120Vac in), or 300Vdc (230-240Vac in
> or 110-120Vac doubler).

KJJ:  AGREE.

> # This 31.6mV has a perturbing effect to the equipment A?? And to
> equipment B??
> A: This interference may have a perturbing effect to any equipment that is
> sensitive at that frequency or one of its harmonics.

KJJ: AS ABOVE, 31.6 mV ONLY AFFECTS A TUNED RADIO RECEIVER.  ANY OTHER
NON-ANTENNA CONNECTED ELECTRONICS WOULD BE TOTALLY IMMUNE TO SUCH A
DISTURBANCE.

> # Concluding: This voltage is perturbing only for radio receivers?? Is
> this the goal of the regulations imposed by the agencies (CISPR, FCC,
> etc.)???
> A: This voltage may also affect sensitive analog instruments (causes shifts
> of reading), may cause false clocking of digital circuits, and so forth. The
> agencies attempt to address this issue in two ways. First, they set limits
> for conducted and radiated emissions. Second, they (EC, etc.) require RF
> immunity testing so that a piece of equipment will not be adversely
> affected.

KJJ:  IF A POWER SUPPLY PROVIDED ONLY 40 dB OF ISOLATION AT 200 kHz (note
that it provides 80 dB or better at the power frequency) THEN YOU WOULD HAVE
316 uV ON THE Vcc INPUT TO ICs.  THE ICs THEMSELVES PROVIDE REJECTION OF
NOISE AT Vcc INPUTS.  THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM FOR SENSITIVE ANALOG
INSTRUMENTS, AND ESPECIALLY NO PROBLEM FOR DIGITAL CIRCUITS.  IN THE USA,
THERE EXISTS A REPORT FROM THE NOW DEFUNCT COMPUTER AND BUSINESS EQUIPMENT
MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATION EMC GROUP WHICH EXPLAINS HOW THE CE/RE LIMITS WERE
DERIVED (BY CBEMA).  THERE IS NO MENTION OF ANY OTHER VICTIM BESIDES
BROADCAST RECEIVERS, RADIO AND TV.

> Thanks in advance for the answers

KJJ: YOU ARE WELCOME.