Muriel et al,

Scott is essentially correct.

The only thing to add is that the emission limits and immunity tests have very
different goals and can't be compared easily.

The emission limits are designed to help protect broadcast and communication
radio receivers.  These devices are sensitive in the sub-microvolt region, down
to about -15 dBuV (about 20 kHz BW) such as some of the VHF/UHF radio gear I
handled many years ago.  The emission test levels are so low as to make it
insignificant for even the poorest shielded digital circuit to be affected, but
still allows some noticable interference to radio receivers to occur.

I don't think we'd want to consider the costs to guarantee an interference-free
spectrum.

So the emission limits provide no real immunity protection for most modern
electronics but help only the extremely sensitive analog devices and RF
equipment.

In contrast, the immunity tests help assure that common radio transmitters don't
upset equipment, and a 3 V common mode RF at 129 dBuV is much more stressful
than an incidental conducted RF emission at 66 dBuV.

It would be interesting if our cellphones had a diagnostic mode to show us the
percentage of all available channels that are unusable due to noise, forcing the
phone to hunt for a new channel.  (Hello Motorola, Nokia...)  This channel
hunting feature is the only reliable way a cell phone can function around other
electronics.  And, don't forget broadband noise emissions which can disturb
numerous communication channels and still comply with the emission limits.

Regards,
Eric Lifsey
Compliance Manager
National Instruments