There have been several good comments regarding DOW's for standards.
However, since you're looking for 'legal' ammunition, I'll take a shot
at it ;)
The comments below attempt to show a paper trail, starting with the
Directive, and ending with the latest standard available.

- The fact that you have to comply the EMC Directive is in Article 3,
which says that apparatus placed on the market has to comply with the
Directive.

- 'Placed on the market' refers to individual units, not to a model
series or a product type.  This is clarified in the EMC Guidelines,
available at
http://www.emc-journal.co.uk/newguide.html

- One of the methods for demonstrating compliance with the Directive
is in Article 7, paragraph 1a.  It says you can follow the standards
listed in the Official Journal.
A list of the standards published (possibly not up-to-date) is at
http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/newapproach/standardization/harmstds/reflist/emc.html

- Notable in this reference list is the heading of the right-most
column: "Date of cessation of presumption of conformity of the
superseded standard".
This means that you can't claim compliance with the EMC Directive
using the superseded standard (second column from the right) after
that date.

For a good display of superseded and current standards, look at
EN55011 (RF emissions for ISM equipment).  There's been enough
activity over the years that you can see standards, what it
superseded, and when you had to stop using the superseded standard (to
claim compliance to the EMC Directive).

Corrections from list members appreciated.

----
Patrick Lawler
plaw...@west.net