Bonjour de Montreal,

I'm also very skeptical about this since the tendency is Europe is to
de-regulate. If you look at the new RTTE Directive you will see that Notify
Bodies will only produce "advices" to the manufacturer, no type approval
anymore. I wonder how the EMC Directive could manage to make that change
without big complains from manufacturers (including us).

Benoît Nadeau, ing. M.ing (P.eng., M.eng.)
Conformity Group Manager
Matrox
1055, boul. St-Regis
Dorval (Québec)
Canada H9P 2T4
Tel: (514) 822-6000 (x2475)
Fax: (514) 822-6275

Chairman
2001 IEEE EMC International Symposium on
Electromagnetic Compatibility
Montreal August 13 to 17, 2001

At 12:07 PM 6/20/2000 -0500, eric.lif...@ni.com wrote:

>List Chums,
>
>I just love getting inflammatory tidbits from the List, and, since nobody
else
>has commented yet...
>
>Last October we completed our own full compliance lab for EN 61326 as
well, an
>investment at that time of about 250k USD (not counting equipment we already
>had, about 100k worth).  The lab has already paid for itself (this week in
>fact).  Though we'd be pretty irate to see it reduced to a mere precompliance
>lab: we're kinda proud of our solid aluminum 10 m OATS and the thousands of
>pre-drilled holes and self-tapping screws spaced every 5.1 cm (2 inches)
we used
>to build it.
>
>I suspect the SLIM comment was taken out of context.  I think we can all
imagine
>the many and political, financial, trade effects and their very serious
>consequences, such as it might kill the US/EU MRA - if I had a vote on the
>matter....
>
>It'd absolutely convince industry and corporate leaders that the regulatory
>world had gone insane, something they already suspect.
>
>Regards,
>Eric Lifsey
>Compliance Manager
>National Instruments
>

>Please respond to Gail Birdsall <gbird...@hach.com>
>
>To:   emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
>cc:    (bcc: Eric Lifsey/AUS/NIC)
>Subject:  SLIM
>

>Greetings Colleagues,
>
>We heard form a reliable source who attended the June meeting of the EU
>Commission on the SLIM Initiative, of discussions to limit the certification
>of product family EMC standards to notified (competent?) bodies.  If this is
>true, it would effectively close the self testing and  certification route
>for manufacturers required to test to product specific EMC Standards. We
>understand that, possibly the Generic Standards route would still be left
>open to manufacturers who wish to self declare.
>
>As you all know, currently where product specific standards exist, they
>supercede the Generic Standards.  My company has spent hundreds of thousand
>of dollars on EMC equipment and facilities to enable us to test and self
>declare our products.  We originally tested and certified to the Generic
>Emissions Immunity Standards, but have recently switched to EN61326:97
>AM1:98.  If the above action is true, it would seem to be big victory and
>financial windfall for EU test laboratories and designates.  At the same
>time, it would be a terrible blow to both EU and US manufacturers who
>invested heavily in test capability to self declare their products.
>
>Does anyone know of the validity of the SLIM action to require testing of
>product specific standards such as EN 61326 by Notified bodies?  It has
>always been my understanding that the SLIM Initiative was to make things
>easier not more complicated and expensive by requiring 3rd party testing.
>Can anyone tell me if it is truly the plan of the EU Commission to take away
>self testing and declaration?  We have heard that the new EMC Directive
>incorporating the SLIM Initiative recommendations may be out as early as the
>end of the year.
>
>Thank-you for your input/s
>
>Gail Birdsall
>Hach Co.

>For help, send mail to the list administrators:
>     Jim Bacher:              jim_bac...@mail.monarch.com
>     Michael Garretson:        pstc_ad...@garretson.org
>
>For policy questions, send mail to:
>     Richard Nute:           ri...@ieee.org

Benoit Nadeau, ing. M.ing. (P.Eng., M.Eng)
Gerant du Groupe Conformite (Conformity Group Manager)
Matrox <http://www.matrox.com/>

1055, boul. St-Regis
Dorval (Quebec) Canada
H9P 2T4