From: JENKINS, JEFF [mailto:jeff.jenk...@aei.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 7:38 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: ISM prohibited frequencies

I have a question about ISM prohibited frequencies according to 47 CFR Part
18.  Section 18.303 says that "operation" in the prohibited frequency bands
is not allowed.  My question is, what is their interpretation of the word
"operation"?

1.) If the equipment in question uses these frequencies only for internal
functioning, is it still prohibited?  (In other words, the energy does not
intentionally leave the equipment enclosure.)

2.) If the equipment sweeps through a prohibited band while it auto-tunes,
is this a problem?

3.) What if the fundamental operating frequency of the equipment is outside
the prohibited bands, but there is significant harmonic energy within a
prohibited band?

Thanks,

Jeff Jenkins
Regulatory Compliance