Hi Rob.

You wrote:
<Is there any possibility of getting the EMC and product safety postings
partitioned ~ to assist in cutting surplus mail traffic?>

The name of the List is EMC-PSTC, (ElectroMagnetic Compatbility - Product
Safety Technical Committee) i.e. it' covers all the material required for
getting equipment documented for compliance to current legislation, in my
case European rules.  For that reason I find the mix both very useful and
convenient.  I already have far too many folders, and if the messages were
seperated into two subjects I would still need to merge them into one
'Compliance' folder.

I've been on this list for four or five years now, and look on it as a
learned source of all things 'Compliance', rather than the actual minutae of
Safety and EMC protection.  The list is as much to do with the bureacracy of
Compliance, the UL, NEC, BS, DIN, standards, rules, regulations, laws etc.,
as much as with the actual Engineering of compliant performance, filters,
materials, fuses and so on.

I don't need to be told how to screen, filter, fuse, cover, insulate.  Those
are basic Engineering matters.  I do, however, need to know what I should
concentrate on, what limits to work to, when I should do it, and what
paperwork I will need.

I would find the splitting up of the list would deviate from the original
purpose of the list, and become less informative and useful.  Indeed it's the
width of the list that makes it much more valuable.   I delete an awful lot
of EMC-PSTC mail, it takes just seconds to ascetain whether to keep or chuck,
but I still get gems in both Safety and EMC matters and I do check everything
that comes from the list.

Just my twopence worth...

Chris Dupres
Surrey, UK.