Sounds like your goal is to get an idea of the relative impact that a change
makes.  For example, you have failed by 4dB at the test house and you want to
try to mitigate the problem back at the office.  You measure the product as it
is, make a change to the product, and measure again for a delta (change in
emissions).  In this case, you would want to see a delta of at least 4dB.  For
this type of testing, I don't think you need a shielded room or an outside
site.  In the past, I have set up an antenna in a conference room to make
measurements of this nature.  I didn't use a ground plane.  In fact, I have
positioned the antenna as close as 1 meter from the product so the emissions
from the product will rise above the ambient.  The readings on the spectrum
analyzer will not be accurate, but at least you can see the delta between
changes.  The delta that you observe should be relatively believable regardless
of antenna position.  This technique is not valid for pre-compliance te!
sting however.  In this case, you should strive for accurate readings.

Allen Tudor, Compliance Engineer
PairGain Technologies                  tel:  (919)875-3382
6531 Meridien Drive                         fax: (919)876-1817
Raleigh, NC  27616                           email:  allen_tu...@pairgain.com

>>> <pah...@pebio.com> 01/13 4:48 PM >>>

Society,

Our company is contemplating a 3m lab for preliminary emissions scans.  We
aren't looking for "submittable" results, but rather, a decent indicator of
whether or not modifications to the EUT improve emissions.  In your opinions,
what is the minimum setup needed to achieve this?  Without a proper ground plane
and some sort of shielding on the walls, can a spectrum analyzer/antenna setup
do any good?  How are other company's labs set up?  I've heard of people putting
an open lab on their roofs.  What kind of results do they get?  Any opinions,
experiences, or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent