From: Rich Nute [mailto:ri...@sdd.hp.com]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 4:34 PM
To: chris.maxw...@nettest.com
Cc: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: HiPot testing of DC mains powered products

Hi Chris:

I wonder why you need to hi-pot test a SELV-powered
product?  (I presume your external 48-volt dc source
is SELV.)

We make products intended for connection to an external
dc source (SELV).  We have never been required to
perform a hi-pot test on such products.

The production-line hi-pot is a test that tests the
insulation between the two input leads (in parallel)
and the chassis (or accessible metal).  The insulation
provides protection against electric shock.  Since no
electric shock is possible from 48 V dc (according to
the standards), then there is no requirement for the
insulation to withstand the transient overvoltages (if
any) on the dc mains.  Indeed, if the insulation were
to fail, there would be no electric shock.

Best regards,
Rich