Hi all,

I have a question.

I have a 48VDC powered product which will be hipot and ground continuity
tested off of the production line in order to maintain agency
certification.

The product uses D-shaped three pin power connector.   (Same size as a
DB15, but has three large power pins instead of 15 signal pins).

When we sell the unit, we pack it with an accessory kit which includes a
15' cable assembly terminated with the mate to the product's power
connector.  So, essentially, we sell the unit with a "DC mains" cable
that we make.

Now,  where should the hipot test be performed?

Should I make a test cable assembly for the hipot/ground bond tester
which is terminated with the proper connector so that the tester can
plug directly into the chassis?  This would essentially test the chassis
only. (because we would use this same test cable for every unit)

Or----

Should I take each unit and connect the DC mains cable to be shipped
with it, then apply the hipot/ground bond probes to the other end of the
DC mains cable?  This would test the entire system including the chassis
and the cable.

In my mind, this question comes up because we are making a custom mains
cable for this DC product.

It is different than AC products; because, with AC products, we can test
the chassis by itself and assume that the mains cable is OK because we
buy mains cables that have been previously hipot/ground bond tested by
their manufacturers.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797
8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |