I read in !emc-pstc that Ted Rook <t...@crestaudio.com> wrote (in
<sbe6c255....@peavey.com>) about 'CLASS 11(DOUBLE INSULATED) & 2/3-CORE
CABLE', on Mon, 5 Nov 2001:
>Could the grounding safety issues we are confronted by have been avoided if
>the
>incoming AC supply had remained 'balanced' that is, not referenced to local
>ground anywhere?

No; France and Norway have 'IT' systems, in which grounding is only to
prevent static charge build-up; the neutral is grounded through an
impedance at the sub-station. AIUI, this is used in mountainous
districts where ground paths are long and of low conductivity. There are
significant differences between the French and Norwegian systems.

>Or to put it another way.
>
>Some where along the way it was decided to ground the neutral at the premises
>entrance. Why?

This applies in the US and many European countries, but not to UK or
France.

>What is the advantage? and to whom?

 Several advantages, to the user and to the utility.

>I feel I should already know the answer, but I don't.
>
>Any offers?

- Multiple grounding reduces 'ground lift' with high-current faults;

- Reduced ground return impedance ensures that protective devices
operate on live to ground faults;

- Protection against open-neutral faults, capable of frying cables and
installations.

>(which reminds me of the fact that it was the catalog of an American parts
>supplier which taught me why we have fused domestic plugs in the UK and not
>elsewhere; because the UK domestic wiring uses ring distribution through the
>house. The ring has a single thirty amp rated fuse and so can supply over
>twice
>the current rating of an individual outlet. Primary protection takes place
>inside the appliance outlet plug which has 13A fuse rating. The resettable
>magnetic breakers that are so familiar to everyone in 120V territory are
>unknown
>in the UK.)

Not so; the rings in my house have 32 A miniature breakers, not fuses.
The lighting circuits have 6 A breakers. The water heater has a 16 A
breaker.
Eat mink and be dreary!