Andrew

Don't try to explain that double insulation and earthing are both acceptable
alternatives - only 1 persion in 10 will understand and the public won't
care!

Option 1
- I think knowledgeable technical people in most countries would actually
prefer this for the reasons you mention in your 2nd paragraph - but there
are very few of these "technical people".

Option 2
- Messy & open to continued confusion for everybody - including your own
staff.

Option 3
- Provided there is double insulation between the hazardous parts and the
metal case, remove the double-insulation mark )not allowed on a Class II
product) and provide installation instructions as for a normal earthed
product (i.e. MUST be earthed). Then if someone does not earth it the
product should still be "safe". (This is the way Rich Nute often explains
the use of double-insulation in many of HP's earthed products.)

My preference is Option 3 -> almost the least effort and probably the least
customer and marketing "hostile" reactions (but it will cost a little more
for the cable and strain relief). #

Additionally it might (or might not?) help with any static control problems
- which can get quite nasty in cold areas where the humidity is very low -
and with any equipotentialisation problems which could occur because
cold-stores are metal walled.

Regards

John Allen