At home my video recorder, hi-fi and Satellite box, have  metal outer
enclosure. But are supplied by a two pin IEC320 C8 connector, running back to a
UK three pin plug. The earth core is simply not present in the power cord.
Products are marked
with the Square within a Square and the manuals state they are double
insulated, not reliant on a protective earth. So your option three and pretty
standard practice for such domestic goods.

If you decide to run an earth to the chassis, or follow the "product may be
earthed if so desired route". Then I advise you look in EN60950  sec 2.6.2 for
the requirements on Functional Earthing to ensure you are still meeting all the
spacing and
insulation requirements for a double insulation and SELV circuits.

As usual my opinion, not that of my employers.

--

Andrew Carson - Product Safety Engineer, Xyratex, UK
Phone: +44 (0)23 9249 6855 Fax: +44 (0)23 9249 6014