Hello Wm:

Troubleshooting an EMI problem by telephone or email is usually a very tall
order.
The best that could probably happen is for someone to point you in the right
direction.

1) I agree with Ken, a clue lies in the generator frequency

2) Does the problem occur only at the station where the signal generator is
used?
If so, this gives a big clue to the nature of the coupling

3) If by "ferrite tiles" you mean "broadband absorbers", these are usually
intended
for absorption of incident RF at frequencies above 30 MHz.  Their reflection
coefficient is poor by design, so they wouldn't help nearly as much as a
localized
conductive shield or high mu material (if these turned out to be appropriate
solutions)

4) I bet the stationery read/write heads drive a high Z input amplifier/IC.
That is the most likely place for the system to be disturbed.  Chances
are you have either capacitive coupling into the amplifier, or inductive
coupling
in to the head/amp interconnect.  Were your copper shields tied to the low
side of the amplifier?

5) If the problem is occurring at the RFID read frequency (530 kHz), and some
absorption is the key, then steel is not necessary, thick copper (~ 0.5mm)
will give > 40 dB attenuation at this frequency.  But it may easier to either
reduce the read circuit loop area, and/or provide a local capacitve
(copper/tin/any good conductor) shield at the receive amp/IC.

You need schematics and pictures to solve this problem effectively and
quickly.

Lee Hill
Founding Partner
Silent Solutions LLC