Just a viewpoint from one of those commercial test houses.

In Europe the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive are that a product
must be safe, be constructed in accordance with good engineering practice
and comply with the principal elements of the safety objectives detailed.
It does not say that a product must conform to any standard, it does
however say that a product complying with a harmonised standard will be
deemed to comply with the safety provisions of the Directive.  Therefore
the law in Europe has no requirements for any production line hipot or
other testing provided you can show evidence that you have done all that is
necessary to show the product is safe.  Under the legal requirements it is
possible to deviate from any production line testing detailed in the
standards whether it is in an informative or normative or any other type of
Annex.

In practise it is difficult to imagine any way of ensuring an electrical
product is safe without some form of end of line testing.  Many test houses
operate certification schemes which give additional confidence to buyers
that a product is safe (or whatever other thing the marks are perceived to
show by the buyer).  Most test marks are private marks belonging to a
company, there is one exception and that is the German GS mark.  This is a
Government mark and forms part of the German Safety Law, it is not (and
never has been) Mandatory, the mark is issued by the TUVs and their
appropriate logo will appear alongside the GS mark.  This mark is well
established in Germany and other parts of Europe.

Regarding other issues brought up on this subject, by choosing a test house
carefully, it should be possible to obtain virtually all international
certification necessary through one body, possibly by using the CB scheme
(which is not a true certification scheme).  This has cost and time
benefits and should simplify the process.

I expect I have just told you all what you already know, but I hope it
helps.

Best regards

Glenn Moffat

TUV International UK
TUV Rheinland/Berlin-Brandenburg Group Ltd
www.uk.tuv.com