Raymond,

I've been in such a position where we contested hi-pot
testing each and every AC power cable which was sent
with every product during production line testing.  There
were two basic reasons: one, for the reason you've suggested
possibly introducing a failure.  Second, the time constraint
on the assembly floor became a burden.

We appealed and it was decided by the NRTL at the
time that it was okay not to do 100% testing of the cords.
BUT, some percentage (I forget now) would have to be
done and entered into a hi-pot log book, model number,
serial number, and date noted.

I have to footnote that we were using fully approved cords
on their own merit.  I'm only imagining that since we were
using listed components, the concern was not as much as
if we had been using something with less of an approval.

If there is a concern, I would certainly suggest asking your
NRTL test engineer.

- Doug McKean