Hi Kaz,

Both IEC60950 3rd Ed & UL60950 3rd Ed define the ROUTINE TEST as you describe,
however, in note 1,
the key phrase is "specified elsewhere in this standard". In fact, the only
references for ROUTINE
TEST and Electric Strength put together (REST = Routine Electric Strength Test)
in this standard can
be found at the following locations:

- Tables 2H(note 2) and 2K(note 2) require REST for Double/Reinforced
Insulation.
- Clause 2.10.5.3 requires REST for PWBs per Table 2M(note 3).
- Clause 2.10.5.4 requires REST for wound components.
- Tables G.2(note 2)  requires REST for Double/Reinforced Insulation.
- Tables R.1(note 4) and R.2(note 2) provide REST alternatives.

So, it would appear that a ROUTINE TEST description for finished ITE products
still is not present
in this standard (series). However, as we all undoubtedly have at least one
third-party mark on our
products here in the US and maybe elsewhere, that third-party has the privilege
to mandate what
routine tests are required for their mark to be affixed to our products.

Looking forward to some comments/rebuttals.

Best regards,

Ron Pickard
rpick...@hypercom.com

                    Kazimier_Gawrzyjal@Dell

                    .com                           To:
j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk, emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    owner-emc-pstc@majordom        Subject:     RE:
Manufacturing Hipot Testing
                    o.ieee.org

                    08/20/01 01:44 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Kazimier_Gawrzyjal

For Hi-pot, see CAN/CSA C22.2 No 60950-00 * UL 60950, ed. 3, Dec. 1, 2000,
cl. 5.2.2 Note 1 and the invoked definition (by NOTE 1) for ROUTINE TEST per
cl. 1.2.13.3.

My opinion and not that of my employer.

Regards,
Kaz Gawrzyjal