Hi Group,

Didn't find much time lastly to contribute, but this topic always
triggers something inside....

Do not forget that using such a system only the near field
is found, in the orientation the probe determines.

In general this has not much to do with the actual 3 or 10 meter
emission. By  performing relative measurements however, one gets
a decent impression in terms of
reducing or increasing values relative to a previous IDENTICAL
measurement.

The probe orientation as well as the distance MUST be well reproduced
and the test should be repeated with several orientations of the
probe. As an electric field probe (ideally) does not detect magnetic field
and
vice versa and both contribute to the total emitted radiation, a test in
several
directions and several operating modes should be conducted with both type of
probes.

One should also consider probing a PCB from 6 sides, as emission does not
have to
be maximal in the orthogonal direction of the top side of your PCB.

If you're still enthiousiastic about such a project, consider
buying a standard bi-conical antenna and create a 3m site on your parking
using chicken mesh wire on the floor.
I am sure you will get faster and more consistent
results then using an XY table and close field
probes.

EMC is all about measurements in the far field of a source, both in terms
of wavelength  ( > lambda/3 ) and geometrically relative to the EUT.

Regards,

Gert Gremmen, (Ing)

ce-test, qualified testing

Web presence  http://www.cetest.nl
CE-shop http://www.cetest.nl/ce_shop.htm
/-/ Compliance testing is our core business /-/