From: Cortland Richmond [mailto:72146....@compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 2:33 AM
To: jrbar...@lexmark.com; ieee pstc list
Subject: Re: ESD generators max Contact discharge level

Lower voltages, because of less corona, tend to have more energy, sooner,
relative to the total. You might pass a 15 kV air discharge test -- but
fail,  lower.

We ALWAYS want margin, and others ALWAYS want none. My experience in a
previous area of the industry is, this lasts until a rash of field failures
costs someone a lot of money.

The nature of the contact discharge test is such that the charge is not
even applied to the electrode until it's in position, and then, humidity is
not a factor. However, in a dryer atmosphere, you might experience more
FIELD failures, since people using the equipment will be charging up to
higher voltages.  You have a good point, though; for the reason you
mention, there is a limit on humidity for doing ESD testing, which I
believe is 70 percent -- my references are at the office and I'm at home.

Cortland

    http://www.rcic.com/      click on "Virtual Conference Hall,"