From: Clement Dave-LDC009 [mailto:dave.clem...@motorola.com]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 5:24 AM
To: 'Chris Wells'; 'emc-pstc'
Cc: Wells, Christopher D
Subject: RE: Print on demand labels - UL/CSA approved

Chris,

I introduced this method into the factory about 10 years ago. The first
iteration was using die cut myler label stock on a laser printer. It turned
out to be very time consuming and you had to print 8 identical (s/n
incremented for each) labels at a time. The next step was a thermal transfer
printer with Mylar label stock on a roll. This was fast and allowed for one
label at a time. Initially we used home grown software on a PC and had
several standalone systems around the factory each with an assigned block of
serial numbers. We then integrated the system into our Factory Control
system computers and had labels printed on demand at the configuration
station based on scanned sales order travelers. We have since out sourced
our manufacturing so we went back to the standalone PC based system using
software from an outfit called Loftware http://www.loftware.com/home.htm
<http://www.loftware.com/home.htm>

Our system uses completely blank label stock and a various layouts are
designed using the drawing features in Loftware. Variables are merged from a
database (excel) and printed on the label. Power ratings, model
descriptions, agency logos, patent numbers are all pulled from the database
and the layouts determine the placement on the label. We even included a
couple of smaller sub labels as part of the basic label stock that have
serial numbers, models numbers, etc that can be placed in other locations on
the product to help out the customer service folks.

We have had great success using thermal transfer printers from Zebra
Technologies http://www.zebra.com/ <http://www.zebra.com/> . The label stock
is a 1.5 mil myler and we have used both matt and gloss finish materials in
translucent and white. To meet UL requirements the combination of printer,
label stock and ribbon are approved. We have a section in our UL SP volume
describing the system. The most difficult thing to do is select a label
stock and ribbon combination that will provide an acceptable level of print
quality while still meeting the durability requirements of the marking
section of the safety standard. All thermal transfer processes use ribbons
that are either a wax, resin or combination of both. The wax materials
provide the best print quality and are great on paper labels but will not
stand up to the solvent wipe test on Myler. The resins are durable and
easily pass the wipe test but the quality of the printed image is not as
good. There are ribbons that are a blend that will give you what you need.
The only other consideration is the adhesive on the label. If you are
applying the label to a smooth plastic or metal surface there is not much to
worry about. If the part is textured you will need a a heavier layer of
adhesive to get acceptable adhesion.

One of these systems are definitely the way to go. We cut our costs from an
average of $0.50 per preprinted label to $0.06 per label with this process.

David Clement
Motorola Inc.
Global Homologation Engineering
20 Cabot Blvd.