Chris,

I introduced this method into the factory about 10 years ago. The first
iteration was using die cut myler label stock on a laser printer. It turned out
to be very time consuming and you had to print 8 identical (s/n incremented for
each) labels at a time. The next step was a thermal transfer printer with Mylar
label stock on a roll. This was fast and allowed for one label at a time.
Initially we used home grown software on a PC and had several standalone
systems around the factory each with an assigned block of serial numbers. We
then integrated the system into our Factory Control system computers and had
labels printed on demand at the configuration station based on scanned sales
order travelers. We have since out sourced our manufacturing so we went back to
the standalone PC based system using software from an outfit called Loftware
http://www.loftware.com/home.htm <http://www.loftware.com/home.htm>

Our system uses completely blank label stock and a various layouts are designed
using the drawing features in Loftware. Variables are merged from a database
(excel) and printed on the label. Power ratings, model descriptions, agency
logos, patent numbers are all pulled from the database and the layouts
determine the placement on the label. We even included a couple of smaller sub
labels as part of the basic label stock that have serial numbers, models
numbers, etc that can be placed in other locations on the product to help out
the customer service folks.

We have had great success using thermal transfer printers from Zebra
Technologies http://www.zebra.com/ <http://www.zebra.com/> . The label stock is
a 1.5 mil myler and we have used both matt and gloss finish materials in
translucent and white. To meet UL requirements the combination of printer,
label stock and ribbon are approved. We have a section in our UL SP volume
describing the system. The most difficult thing to do is select a label stock
and ribbon combination that will provide an acceptable level of print quality
while still meeting the durability requirements of the marking section of the
safety standard. All thermal transfer processes use ribbons that are either a
wax, resin or combination of both. The wax materials provide the best print
quality and are great on paper labels but will not stand up to the solvent wipe
test on Myler. The resins are durable and easily pass the wipe test but the
quality of the printed image is not as good. There are ribbons that are a !
!
!
!
blend that will give you what you need. The only other consideration is the
adhesive on the label. If you are applying the label to a smooth plastic or
metal surface there is not much to worry about. If the part is textured you
will need a a heavier layer of adhesive to get acceptable adhesion.

One of these systems are definitely the way to go. We cut our costs from an
average of $0.50 per preprinted label to $0.06 per label with this process.

David Clement
Motorola Inc.
Global Homologation Engineering
20 Cabot Blvd.