>As soon as a "reference" device goes out into the general lab population,
>it's subject to physical and electrical abuse. It may take you quite a
while
>to notice that some device has just one attenuator range that's damaged
(but
>not completely blown, just shifted a bit).
>
>As far as I'm concerned, once a device hits the general lab population,
it's
>no more reliable than anything else out there. (Although I may put a bit
>more faith in the most recently calibrated item, simply since it's likely
>have had the least exposure to trouble.)
>
>Regards,
>Ed

Another P.O.V. :

Anecdotal experience: at the last three companies I've worked, the biggest
single source of test equipment/instrumentation failure has been directly
from the Calibration Process. When a fully functional instrument is
submitted for calibration, and a device is returned that has no (or severly
decreased functionality), it valid to assume that the calibration process
does not always insure measurement integrity, nor add value to the
development lab receiving the calibration services. It serves The Process
(ISO 9k-speak).

Brian O'Connell
Taiyo Yuden (USA), Inc.