As I understand it the interpretation to have tracibility to your national
authority through equipment used only for calibration originated with NAMAS.
Some other accreditors have picked it up since then.

The requirement need not be that onerous.  You can calibrate your own equipment
traceably to your national authority using equipment that you send out for
calibration.  Where the instrument is cheap (multimeter) we buy an extra and
use it only for calibration.  Where it is expensive (oscope, receiver), we use
it for calibration only directly after it returns from outside calibration (or
inside tracible cal) and after we have calibrated our secondary equipment with
it we put it into regular service for the year.  If you manage your yearly
calibration cycle well this shouldn't crimp your style too much.

The key is not to have equipment in your calibration chain back to the national
authority that has been used for non-calibration purposes between the time of
its calibration and that of the secondary calibration.

The idea is to have high confidence that the tracibilty chain is intact.  If a
piece of equipment in the chain has been used daily in regular rough and tumble
testing it is seen as having a much higher probability of operating outside of
its tolerances.  In my experience the outside cal houses are pretty tough on
their gear too, so I am not sure that much is gained.

I personally think this interpretation is overly severe, but we comply with it
because we want our test reports to be accepted by authorities who think this
process is reasonable.

To directly answer your specific question about a signal generator used in
immunity:  If it is being used as an uncalibrated signal source in the
measurement and you are using a power meter or receiver for tracibility then
you can use that signal generator, even if it went off a cliff the day before.
If you are relying on the calibrated output level that the signal generator
says it is putting out, then you should not have used that instrument in
non-calibration use since its last calibration.

Jon.

--
Jon D. Curtis, P.E.

Director of Engineering