From: John Juhasz [mailto:jjuh...@fiberoptions.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 2:35 PM
To: 'Courtland Thomas'; emcpost
Subject: RE: Product Marking

Courtland,

There is nothing in UL1950 that says you MUST have an NRTL logo . . .
there are requirements for ratings/safety markings, but not a logo.

NRTLs typically have specifications on their logos, and how they must
appear/be
used. I don't recall seeing that you MUST apply the mark . . .

Simply put, the NEC dictates (I don't have the exact location handy) that an
electrical/electronic
product must be evaluated by an NRTL against the standard that is applicable

to that product. Once you have permission to apply a mark from an NRTL, you
demonstrate the 'listing' by application of the logo. Electricians
(competent ones)
look for a logo and act accordingly. If they don't see one they may not
wire it up, or they can unplug it (they have that right through the NEC).

On another note, using one NRTL over another does have it's advantages
(evaluation
cost aside). Some NRTL logos are more readily recognizable than others by
consumers.
In many cases that I've directly experienced, market pressure forced my to
use
one NRTL logo over another. It depends on your customer base.
If your customers are regulatory savy, and understand the NRTL program, it
doesn't
matter who you use . . .
Unfortunately, the average person does not know about any other logo other
than one particular prominent one. That makes it difficult . . .

It is wise to evaluate your customer base from this respect. . . .

The opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not necessarily
reflect those of
my employer . . .

John Juhasz
Fiber Options