Courtland,

You raise a very interesting question, prompted by the usual "Dilbert"
marketing thinking.  Here are some comments, in no particular order,
nor do I draw a conclusion:

1.  As you know, OSHA has approved multiple NRTLs to issue certifications
to UL 1950 and other standards.  We were once acquiring a product which
used the CSA/NRTL mark, i.e. perfectly acceptable.  Marketing thought
the world would come to an end, as they would not be able to respond to
bids (particularly gov't bids) specifying "UL" approval. I personally
assured marketing that if a U.S. gov't bid held to the "UL" approval
requirement they would be at odds with OSHA, i.e. the Code of Federal
Regulations. We wrote a statement for them to the effect that the
product was tested as conforming to UL 1950 etc. without specifying
the agency.  They finally accepted our position, but we still get the
UL mark on most products.

2.  Similarly, Canada will accept a CSA or c-UL mark. However, it seems
that the Canadian gov't prefers the CSA mark when bidding for their use.
Hence, we normally require the CSA mark for models that would most likely
be candidates for gov't office use.

3.  It is my observation and position that customers buying off-the-
shelf or over the internet have no clue what a power rating label is nor
do they look at it after purchase.  Therefore, for the average consumer,
the particular marks or absence thereof matters little.

4.  Large customers of business products do often want know the details
of marks and approvals, but do not necessarily understand that UL =
CSA/NRTL = ITS = MET etc. if tested to the same UL/CSA standards.

5.  If you do NOT market to Canadian gov't, I suggest using any one of
the following, acceptable for other customers in both countries, assuming
your marketing can live with any of these:

-  c-UL-us
-  MET
-  ITS
-  TUVR