Hi Sam,

This substitution method has been around a long time, maybe 50 years or so.

FCC has (for licensed transmitters) specified spurious and harmonic emissions to be X dB below the in - band carrier power, when measuring conducted emissions out the antenna port, or radiated emissions from the case.

The specification units are in units of power, not field strength. Section 2.1053 of FCC rules states:

"Information submitted shall include the relative radiated power of each spurious emission with reference to the rated power output of the transmitter, assuming all emissions are radiated from halfwave dipole antennas."

The procedure generally used is:

1. Make the normal radiated emissions measurement, with the EUT at far field distance for all frequencies under consideration. Rotate the EUT, raise and lower the search antenna in H and V polarities, record maximum levels. For thoroughness the EUT should be oriented in H and V polarities if it can operate that way (ex: hand-held portable transmitter)

2. Replace the EUT with an antenna with center of radiation at approximately the same height as the EUT center of radiation. For FCC licensed transmitters, the antenna port is generally terminated with a shielded 50 ohm load so the center can be approximated by the center of the EUT case.

3. Connect signal generator to the substitution antenna, set to emissions frequency under consideration, then using the same search antenna as in step 1, raise and lower search antenna in H and V polarities to maximize the signal.

4. Once maximized adjust the signal generator to produce the same levels recorded in step 1.

5. Reported emission = signal gen, dBm - cable loss, dB + {gain of substitution antenna above dipole (=GdBi - 2.15 dB)}.

Compare this to the dBm level called out by the requirement.

NOTE: Some FCC and ETSI specs will require reference to an isotropic antenna, in that case the antenna gain term in step 5 is G dBi

In my experience if measurements are made in the far field and on a good OATS the levels in 5 should correlate pretty well with radiated emissions readings when using the relationship between E, P, G, and d in the far field and solving for P.

best regards

Tom Cokenias

T.N. Cokenias Consulting
P.O. Box 1086