>> Can you please explain why? The receiving antenna just responds to the
field strength at its position; it doesn't 'know' anything about the
source - it cold be an EUT at 10 m or a distant TV transmitter or even a
cosmic source. <<

This isn't the issue. The receiving antenna, as you say, can't tell. The
problem is the substitute antenna.

We assume the source is a dipole (or, here, a bilog) at every frequency.
Our substitute antenna has a simple pattern (even a bilog - we spend a lot
of money to get it, too).  The source is not so simple. Even if it IS a
half-wave dipole at (say) 100 MHz, at harmonics it is a wavelength long or
more, and radiates in sheaves of cones oriented at some angle along the
axis of the wire (a LP does NOT do this!) - most of which may miss the
receiving antenna completely on an OATS. The angles along the wire decrease
as the frequency increases. It will have gain over a dipole; the lobes off
its ends narrower and stronger than those from a dipole fed with the same
power, and at high enough harmonics, close enough to the axis of the
conductor that they are again directed towards the receiving antenna as we
turn the EUT.

This will bias calculations which assume the source has a simple pattern at
_every_ frequency. It doesn't.

Cheers!

Cortland