I read in !emc-pstc that Cortland Richmond <72146....@compuserve.com>
wrote (in <200112271228_mc3-ec1b-a...@compuserve.com>) about 'Field
Strength - Substitution Method', on Thu, 27 Dec 2001:
>What you don't have -- and what, I think, is most difficult -- is a model
>that reliably correlates a substitution antenna as a source with the
>equipment under test. A rack seven feet tall and two feet on a side -- with
>wires overhead and off to its sides -- will NOT radiate the same as a
>dipole. And it will differ more from an antenna as its dimensions become
>larger than the antenna. I would expect differences to become more
>pronounced, in other words, at higher frequencies. This is what you saw.

I don't think that's relevant. The EUT, whatever it is, produces X
dB(uV/m) at the receiving antenna. The sig gen and bilog is then set up
to produce the same field strength at the receiving antenna. The problem
seems to be *independent of the EUT*. The calculated field strength of
the sig gen and bilog doesn't agree with the *measured* value.

Having said that, an EUT may have an entirely different radiation
pattern from that of an antenna, but the normal OATS procedure is
'blind' to this, even if the EUT is large enough to subtend quite a
large angle at the receiving antenna, so that the measured field
strength is actually an average over a considerable volume of space.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.