On this topic of oil consumption and the oil producers being opposed to
Alternative energy sources, the following link gives a good break down
of oil consumption and usage.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/analysis_publications/oil_m
arket_basics/Full_contents.htm

A couple of interesting things jump out, 1) Oil is not a big fuel when
used for power generating 2) The US really is the worlds biggest
consumer of oil, mainly for powering your cars.

Reading this tread highlights another east /west divide across the
Atlantic. In Europe for many years the Green lobby has been growing in
power, now having a significant voice in the European Parliament.

Car manufactures now relies their products are seen as environmental
disasters. So they are the ones taking the lead in alternative fuel
sources for vehicle, not Government legislation. Developing high brid
vehicles, Hydrogen fuel cells and making more and more efficient
engines. A modern European car will run at 55 miles  per gallon or
better. But still keep a good performance.

The Energy Generators themselves are equally concerned, in Scotland the
world largest wind warm is now being planned. Across Europe wind power,
experimental wave power and bio mass plants are springing up. Solar
power though, is not a good option for the sometime wet areas of
northern Europe.

Andrew Carson - Senior Compliance Engineer, Xyratex, UK