Agree, that's why my post was phrased to use the car as an energy collector,
while static in the car park eight hours per day, and not to suggest using
solar electric power as a substitute for gasoline.

We have invested 100 years engineering development into the four stroke IC
engine and now accept 30% efficiency from diesel and gasoline IC engines.

The Stirling cycle engine has been neglected as a power source because it
doesn't burn petroleum products so won't make money for the oil interests.

Not sure about your A/C math. It seems to require lots of assumptions.

My point was to prompt consideration of how much incoming energy we ignore
because it is 'low grade' and yet at the same time we  consume huge quantities
of 'high grade' energy in the form of gasoline, natural gas and electricity.
This is v. wasteful.

The answer IMHO lies with individuals taking steps to reduce domestic power
consumption and not with centralized power companies, in whose interest it is
to keep things as they are.

My electricity costs 17c per kWh. I can generate it using a gasoline generator
for a fraction of that cost but the fly in the ointment is the capital cost and
maintenance requirements.