While I was at Agilent in Spokane, one of the engineers or technicians claimed
that he had changed the RF characteristics of a 6-hole ferrite bead (wound with
2 1/2 turns) used on a power supply trace to a noisy assembly. The normal
current was about 1 amp, but he accidently shorted the power supply voltage
after the inductor. This caused a current spike as the power supply filter
capacitor discharged (and then the supply current limited at about 10 amps).
After this, there was a problem with RF leakage from the assembly. Replacing the
inductor fixed the problem. Apparently the effect was repeatable.

I didn't observe this personally, so I can't guarantee it.

Don Borowski
Schweitzer Engineering Labs

Sorry that I wasn't clear; I typically try to keep my questions general so
      not to get too detailed about the specific application. And thanks to Bob,
      Chris and Mike who have responded ... putting it into Chris's words ... I
      was just trying to find out if ferrites had ratings to prevent them from
      "j
      ust plain blowing the ferrite to smithereens".  Also, I was looking for a
      shortcut if someone else had faced this question rather than reading
      through all of the vendor web sites.

 I understand and have used ferrites quite often for typical EMI
suppression; the ferrites typically being rated for the application
currents, voltages, etc.  In this case, the program is trying to protect a
power supply input from the DO-160 waveform 5B pin injected lightning pulse
of 300 volts open circuit & 300A short circuit.  If the Gas Discharge Tube
is located past (closer to the supply which was done for packaging
limitations) than the "T" EMI filter, a question was raised as to whether
the ferrite properties would be altered by the lightning pulse.  Most of
the standard literature on the use of ferrites does not address these types
of transients.

Susan Beard

"Robert Wilson" <robert_wil...@tirsys.com>@majordomo.ieee.org on 06/04/2002
02:16:48 PM