Hi Susan,

Your response makes it much clearer.  Sorry about the "Ferrites 101" in my
previous response.  Hope I didn't insult your intelligence.

Now that I see the true nature of your question,  I only have one tidbit to
offer from experience.

In one telecom circuit we had (starting from the connector):

A ferrite bead, a 1206 zero ohm resistor (used as a jumper where a current
limiting resistor could be placed)  a fuse (1.25A, fast acting), a sidactor
(across from one line to the other, not to ground).

In this application, the ITU K.20 and ITU K.21 lightning pulses blew the 1206
ferrite chips off of the board before the fuses would activate.  This also
happened to a MOV which we had originally used; that's why we ended up with a
sidactor.   The ferrite chips were rated for 150mA steady state.  I, like you,
was unsure of their pulse current capability.  I could find no specification
for it in the ferrite data sheets.    The fact that they disintigrated gave us
some idea that they were probably a little under-rated.  We replaced them with
PREM part number SPG-104 (a multi-turn bead on a lead part with higher current
rating). These parts worked.  These parts had a steady-state current rating
similar to the in-line fuse.  Coincidence?  Maybe.

So, in our case....yes our lightning pulse did "alter the properties of the
ferrite" (and how).  I know that you have a different circuit and a different
lightning requirement; so take my advice with a grain of salt (as always).

I hope that you can find some bit of information there that you can extrapolate
to your situation.

Chris