-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Maxwell [mailto:chris.maxw...@nettest.com]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 9:20 AM
To: Crabb, John; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Thermocouple alternative?

John,

We use T-type thermocouples which are not as ferrous as J and K types, and
therefore not as susceptible to electromagnetic fields.  Still, we run into
problems (we make high-power switching power supplies, by the way).
Sometimes noise is coupled into the thermocouple wire.  I have fixed this
with a choke in the past.

I have had difficulty convincing agencies to accept data from non-contact
thermal measurement systems, e.g., infrared or optical.  The way that I have
convinced them is to take side-by-side measurements on something that is not
producing strong fields using a thermocouple and the non-contact measuring
device.  When they saw that the two devices measured the same temperature,
they were satisfied.

Good Luck,

Jeff Jenkins
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
Fort Collins, CO

This message, including any attachments, may contain information that is
confidential and proprietary information of Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
The dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message or any of
its attachments is strictly prohibited without the express written consent
of Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.