Hi John,

A possible solution would be to use an infrared non-contact thermometer.

They measure temperature essentially by pointing them at the object of
interest.  They have a few  drawbacks that I know of:

1. You need to have visual access to the part or surface of interest.

2.  You need to account for "spot size" since its detector essentially
integrates all of the infrared in its field of view.  The spot size
changes with distance from the thermometer to the surface of interest.

3.  If you are trying to graph temperature over time: you can't just
glue it in place and hook it to a data logger.  I don't know if it would
be worth rigging up some kind of tripod to keep the infrared detector
aimed at the point of interest.

We had one in the lab for a couple of days.  It was a handheld, battery
powered unit about the size of a Palm Pilot.  Sadly, I only got to play
with it a little bit before it was taken away.  I wanted to see how
accurate it was at measureing component temperatures on a circuitboard.

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797
8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |