John,

In my company, I often run into this problem and a non-contact or infrared
thermometer is not always pratical.   Like you, I also had to resort to
momentary turn off to get accurate readings.  In one instance, I had magentic
fields strong enough to cause damage to the instrument.  There are several
things you can do and not all of these are always necessary.

1) I exclusively use "T" type thermocouple wire because it has no ferrous
content and the effective temperature range more closely "brackets" the
temperatures I am interested in.  The reason for non-ferrous wire is strong
magnetic fields not only induce erroneous readings, but they also cause heating
of the thermocouple itself.  In the past I typically saw this problem with the
"K" & "J" types.  Simply doing a momentary turn-off does not correct this
problem as the wire takes some descrete time to cool off and after a point you
don't know if you device under test is cooling as well.  The problem is that
I've never found a handheld meter that accepts "T" type wire.

2) The next thing I do is insure the thermocouple conductors are not separated,
keeping loop area small.  Twisting is ideal if you can do this without damaging
to the welded tip.  Ideally you should be able to weld your own.

3) If possible, try to orient thermocouple wires to avoid 'cutting' flux lines.

4) Try using ferrite beads to knock down any common-mode RF induced on the wire
and being conducted into the instrument.  The readings you are interested in
are essentially DC.

5) If you are still having troubles, construct a Faraday shield by wrapping
with copper foil.  Grounding the shield may be helpful.  The shield needs to
fully enclose the thermocouple bead and surround the wires for some distance,
far enough to exit the area where the fields are.  Be sure the copper foil is
insulated inside and out.  Note, readings may take a little longer.

6) Finally, if all else fails, you can resort to the resistance method
described in IEC 61558-1 (fomerly IEC 60742) clause 14.2.  This takes a
milli-Ohm meter.

-doug

-----------
Douglas E. Powell, Compliance Engineer
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.

[quote]Hi John,

A possible solution would be to use an infrared non-contact thermometer.

They measure temperature essentially by pointing them at the object of
interest.  They have a few  drawbacks that I know of:

1. You need to have visual access to the part or surface of interest.

2.  You need to account for "spot size" since its detector essentially
integrates all of the infrared in its field of view.  The spot size
changes with distance from the thermometer to the surface of interest.

3.  If you are trying to graph temperature over time: you can't just
glue it in place and hook it to a data logger.  I don't know if it would
be worth rigging up some kind of tripod to keep the infrared detector
aimed at the point of interest.

We had one in the lab for a couple of days.  It was a handheld, battery
powered unit about the size of a Palm Pilot.  Sadly, I only got to play
with it a little bit before it was taken away.  I wanted to see how
accurate it was at measureing component temperatures on a circuitboard.

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797
8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |

[/quote]

Replies to this message may be posted in a public forum.