Hi Ken,
    The reason that those companies stopped was because it was found
that there was mercury in the formulation of the vaccine. The mercury
had no other use other than stabilization.  The mercury is known to
cause brain damage. Prior to around 1980, DPT was not given to infants.
The rise in autism has correlated with the increased  use of the infant
vaccines.Those companies were also found to have poor process control
that allowed too much of a live virus in their vaccines causing a
so-called 'hot batch'. The company that is left doesn't have mercury in
their formulation and has superior process control. I would much rather
see my child suffer through a virus than be permanently brain
damaged(usually undetectably)
    BTW, whooping cough and pertusis are the same thing. the D stands
for Diptheria.

Jim Freeman