As I understand the way the civil law section of the EU's Product Liability
Directive operates (I am not a lawyer) it does in fact place the burden of
proof on the manufacturer, who is effectively considered 'guilty until proved
innocent'.

I also understand that any number of manufacturers can be sued in the civil
courts under one safety incident, and the liabilities of each awarded 'on the
balance of probabilities' that their product caused the damage, injury or
death being complained about.

Also...nobody has to prove negligence on the part of the manufacturer, this
is sometimes called 'no-fault liability' - you can be held to be liable under
the law even though nobody has proved that your product was actually the
cause of the safety incident.

Another interesting fact about EU Product Liability is that in the civil
courts in  most EU member states there is no financial upper limit to the
damages that can be awarded against a manufacturer.

We may not like it, but that's how the world appears to be at the moment.
Regards, Keith Armstrong