From: James, Chris [mailto:c...@dolby.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 1:02 AM
To: 'Ken Javor'; Doug McKean; EMC-PSTC Discussion Group
Subject: RE: EMC-related safety issues

Sorry disagree about turn and brake lights not being in the same class.
Their very failure is often the reason for very serious accidents. I have
long wished that all car manufacturers had to by law fit bulb failure
warning devices to cars (but what happens when that fails).

In the UK it is an offence to drive a vehicle with defective lights,
(although many do). It is the driver's (not owner's) obligation to be
satisfied the vehicle they are driving is fit to be on the road irespective
of whether it passed it's MOT the previous day.

The UK mandatory annual vehicle inspection (MOT) for vehicles over 3 years
old, covers seat belts, brake efficiency on a rolling road, mirrors,
windshield cracks (a 20mm, 3/4inch crack in the wrong place will fail a
vehicle), tyres, wheel bearings, gaiters, steering components, structural
body condition, lights, smog emissions, etc....................I don't
believe airbags are tested but guess it will come, along with the inevitable
hike in price.

I'm surprised the US does not have a similar Federal requirement - with all
the vehicles this is a cash cow waiting to be milked.

Chris