I read in !emc-pstc that George Stults <george.stu...@watchguard.com>
wrote (in <ea1b3684d553cbc96c23d33894bdfe4c3c350...@watchguard.com>)
about '-2dB margin', on Thu, 3 Jan 2002:
>After talking with some other folks, I've found that one can concoct a 2 dB
>margin  from CISPR 22 [the section I mentioned below] as follows: Using the
>formula  for  statistically assessed compliance "Xavg + K*StdDev < Limit",
>assume that the StdDev is 1.0 and that you are initially testing one device
>as permitted.  Then take the value of [K =2.04] for [n=3] and you have a
>2.04 dB margin requirement for the initial device.   The standard also
>requires that if you just test one device, that you do subsequent tests from
>time to time.  So in effect, by going with a 2dB margin the first time,
>you're betting that the statistics will still be in your favor by the time
>you've tested 3 samples.   Does anyone disagree that it could be done this
>way?

It seems a reasonable explanation.

>An additional question would be, how is "from time to time" defined.   Is it
>spelled out anywhere?

Possibly not, but there is a principle that you can invoke. It was
developed in the context of safety testing in service, AFAIK, but it
works for other things.

What you do is to choose an initial re-test period based on how many
units you produce per unit time and how much unit-to-unit variability
you expect. If you find that re-testing at this rate throws up failures,
re-test more often. If it throws up no failures and not even marginal
cases, re-test less often.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.