I read in !emc-pstc that Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com> wrote (in
<200201032108.naa11...@epgc264.sdd.hp.com>) about 'EMC-related safety
issues', on Thu, 3 Jan 2002:
>Whine mode on:  I want both on my bedside table, and
>I want both to do all of their functions.  This IS
>not the usage contemplated by 3 m separation EMC
>requirements.
>
>:-)

Use an incandescent lamp. For a bedside table, quite a low power lamp is
OK, especially if you use a low-voltage lamp. But keep a switch-mode
'electronic transformer' at least 3 m from the radio, of course! Or
stick to an ordinary transformer. Old technology is NOT always BAD!
Grandpa is your FRIEND.

Since it isn't practicable to reduce the emissions of CFLs well below
the limits of CISPR15/EN55015 without heroic measures, the 3 m
separation has to be observed, or CFLs have to be banned or made much
more costly. The latter possibilities are clearly not environmentally
acceptable.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.