> *********
> A routine flight over Dallas-Fort Worth was disrupted when one of the
> compasses suddenly shifted 10 degrees to the right.  The pilot asked
> if any passenger was operating an electronic device,  and finding that
> a laptop computer had just been turned on requested that it be turned
> off,  whereupon the compass returned to normal. Following RTCA
> guidelines the pilot requested that the laptop be turned on again 10
> minutes later,  when the compass error returned.
> Ref: Compliance Engineering (European edition)  Nov/Dec 1996 p12
> *********

I am fascinated by this amazing story (which must surely be an urban
myth) and went in search of more info on the internet.
I had never heard of the RTCA ( a private corporation)  before, but
noticed via their web site that you have to be a member company (i.e.
pay) to receive the wisdom that it contains.  Aviation is merely a hobby
of mine but I'm interested in reading a copy of the RTCA's DO-233/214
and 196 documents without shelling out hundreds for the privilege, can
anyone advise? Also does anyone know what recommendations have they made
to modifying FAR 91.21 (as per their web site).
In reading this again, I'm curious as to how the pilot would have known
about a private companies convoluted guideline for fault finding on
errant radio direction equipment involving locating industrious
passengers and commandeering their computers at 10 minute intervals.
Surely he would have done what any professional engineer would do, beat
or kick the 10 degree error out of the RDF equipment?
Or maybe just wonder to him/herself about how strange things happen in
the Dallas Fort Worth area?

Tounge in cheek, my comments and not those of my employer etc.

Jim