Hi John,

Though you are fully right theoretically, i think parts of your story are a
bit overdone.

Most people do not make a habit-of-disconnecting-their-heavy-equipment-while
carrying-it-over-their-feet-at-the-mains-voltage-phase-point-of-90-degrees-w
hile-actively-seeking- both
points-of-the-power-plug-simultaneously-within-the-discharge-time-of-a-paper
-capacitor
of-less-then-0.1-uF-often-enough-to-really-make-the-manufacturer-very-"popul
ar" as you say,
....not to mention that they also need to react involuntary by dropping the
equipment......

I mean:  a lot of conditions need to be satisfied a lot of times.....
(but i also know that exactly this is what happens when an accident arrives)

Most handheld equipment does not contain capacitors between
phases and/or ground  BEFORE the momentary mains switch (drills etc),
and in cabinets where the mains is connected permanently  or by big power
plugs, service people do not have a habit of touching the bare parts
that fast after disconnecting.

Lets try some numbers:

Paper capacitors (and they are as they need to be self healing) do not hold
their charge
that long. At a selfdischarge impedance of 10 M the discharge time equals 1
second.
After a number of self healing discharges the capacitor actually  has a
bleeding
resistor build in. Did you ever unfold (unroll) a filter cap after a few
years duty
and hold it to the light ? Literally 100's of tiny holes can be seen with
the naked eye.
Possibly a new cap may hold it's charge longer.... ?

If a human body is to function as a discharge path , under the premise that
the discharge
is to be felt substantially, a current of say 3.0 mA is required. This
requires at a charge
voltage of 300 Volts 100 K of human impedance. Time constant 10 mS (half a
period)
Thats peak current. Average current during this time span is much less .
If you are wet handed (not recommended) the peak current may rise
substantially
but the pulse with decreases propotionally, so does the effect. This effect
can easily
be verified with an experiment using your own pulse generator and a
inversely
connected mains transformer and a volunteer : that was me during a time....
I won't explain in detail why i volunteered though ......;<)))

At a pulse with of 1 mS one may accept much higher voltages before anything
is noticed
then at 100 mS (BTW don't start with square waves, but sinus pulses)

If one takes out a mains plug and voluntarily tries to touch ground and
phase plug
contacts at least 1 S have been elapsed. I mean, imagine your self pulling
with one
hand and touching the pins with the same (as the other carries the heavy
equipment).
The capacitor would be almost discharged.

Possibly your experiences have  been based upon equipment with
other type of capacitors with much better dielectricum, but possibly
not the well established paper type X or Y type capacitor.

I DO support your point about the discharge resistor though. Any accident
prevented is a step forward on the world wide scale of safety..

Gert Gremmen

ce-test, qualified testing